Although we cannot give legal advice, we can provide you with the recording requirements for documents that transfer ownership of real property. The two most common documents used to transfer ownership are the Grant Deed, or Quit Claim Deed. These forms are available at most office supply stores and online sources. Ensure the forms you obtain are in compliance with the current recording requirements; however, complying with recording requirements does not guarantee legal sufficiency.
When a document transferring ownership of real property is presented for recording we will look for the following information:
- Name(s) of the Grantor(s). Also known as the Seller(s), old owners
- Name(s) of the Grantee(s). Also known as the Buyer(s), new owners
- Description/identification of real property located in Calaveras County, such as lot & tract
- Assessor's Parcel Number
- Documentary transfer tax declaration
- "When recorded mail to" address – listed in upper left hand corner of first page of document
- “Recording Requested by” – listed in upper left hand corner of first page of document
- Mailing address for future tax statements
- City where property located or Unincorporated specified
- Signature(s) of grantor(s)
- Signature(s) of grantor(s) acknowledged by a notary public
Additionally, a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report (PCOR) must accompany the document. If this report is not presented at the time of recording, an additional recording fee will be assessed. For current fees click here.
- If transfer tax is paid: Fees will include fees for recording the first page of the document, a fee for each additional page, and the full amount of transfer tax. For current fee amounts, click here. For information on transfer tax, click here.
- If no transfer tax is paid: Fees will include fees for recording the first page of the document, and a fee for each additional page. For current fee amounts, click here.
If any part of the document is other than 8 1/2" x 11" an additional fee per page for each page of the document will be charged.
Mailing address information for the Clerk Recorder Office is located on our homepage