Make an Appointment with Us

Please visit our appointment scheduler here to make an appointment with us. Contact the Calaveras County Clerk-Recorder’s office at (209) 754-6372 or email us with any questions or concerns.


Apply for a Marriage License

Marriage licenses are issued by appointment onlyduring regular business hours Monday – Friday. To complete your license application and to schedule an appointment, please use the links below:

  1. Make an appointment

  2. Marriage License Application

NOTE: You must have a wedding ceremony in order to be legally married


Congratulations on your engagement!

We are happy to assist you through the marriage license process.


What’s next?

  1.  Reserve Your Appointment here

Note: If you do not have your application completed, your appointment will be cancelled or rescheduled for another day.

In order to keep your appointment you must complete your marriage license application. Appointments are first-come, first-served and not guaranteed until you receive a confirmation email.  We will contact you with alternative scheduling options if your requested appointment date and time are unavailable.  

  1.  Fill out your application for a marriage license here

Marriage licenses are issued by the County Clerk-Recorder's Office and must be purchased before your wedding ceremony. You may submit the application online or in person. After submitting the application, you must appear together at our office to sign and purchase the license.

Please review the Marriage License Requirements and Name Change Information below before submitting an application. Please note, the time at which you purchase your license will be your only opportunity to change your middle and/or last names through the marriage license process.

You need an appointment to purchase the license, and processing time is typically 20-30 minutes. Please be sure to arrive prompt to your scheduled appointment time. Please do not wait until the day prior to your ceremony to obtain the license. You may obtain your marriage license up to 90 days prior to your planned ceremony.

Other Marriage Information

Deputy Marriage Commissioner Information

8 November 2022

Deputy Marriage Commissioner Information

The Calaveras County Clerk-Recorder may appoint individuals as Deputy Civil Marriage Commissioners in order to marry a specific couple on an appointed day. This means that your friend or family member may be appointed as a Deputy Civil Marriage Commissioner for a Day to perform your wedding ceremony!

Deputy Civil Marriage Commissioner for a Day Requirements:

  1. Must be at least 18 years old
  2. Must appear in person to be sworn in and receive a short instruction and paperwork
  3. Must show valid, government issued photo ID
  4. You may apply for your commission up to ninety (90) days before the ceremony is performed.


The fee for a deputy marriage commissioner appointment is $50.00.


Note for Ordained Officiants

If you are currently an 'ordained officiant' (minister, priest, etc.), there is no need to complete an application for appointment as a Deputy Marriage Commissioner of Civil Marriages for a Day; you are already 'ordained' and eligible to solemnize/marry/conduct a wedding ceremony in the State of California. Online ordinations are acceptable provided you meet the requirements defined in Family Code Section 400.

Marriage Ceremony Information

8 November 2022

Marriage Ceremony Information

The following is required for all marriage ceremonies taking place within the State of California:

  1. Obtain a valid marriage license from a County Clerk's Office
  2. Have wedding ceremony within the State of California within 90 days of purchasing the license, performed by an authorized officiant such as a priest, rabbi, minister, judge, or civil marriage commissioner
  3. After the ceremony, the license must be returned to the county where it was issued to be recorded


Civil Marriage Ceremonies Performed by the County Clerk-Recorder's Office

The Calaveras County Clerk-Recorder's Office has Deputy Marriage Commissioners available to perform civil wedding ceremonies during regular business hours, Monday through Friday by appointment onlyPlease only bring the two witnesses that will be signing the license into the office lobby. All other parties to the ceremony must wait outside for the ceremony to commence due to the size of the office lobby.

Marriage License Requirements

8 November 2022

Marriage License Requirements

  1. You must appear together in-person at our office to purchase the license.
  2. You do not need to be a U.S. citizen or California resident to apply for a marriage license.
  3. You both must present valid, government-issued photo identification. Examples of acceptable ID:
  • Driver's License
  • Passport
  • Consular ID Card (Matricula)
  • Military ID
  • Permanent Resident Card
  1. You must be unmarried. You cannot be currently married to each other or other individuals.
  2. If you were previously married or in a State Registered Domestic Partnership (SRDP), you must provide the exact date (month, day, and year) the previous marriage or SRDP ended and how it ended (death, dissolution, divorce, or nullity).

Note: if you are currently in an SRDP with each other you do not need to dissolve the partnership before purchasing your marriage license.

  1. If the previous marriage or SRDP ended by dissolution/divorce or nullity within the past 90 days, you must present proof of the dissolution.



If you are under the age of 18, you must present a certified copy of the court order granting you permission to obtain a marriage license. Emancipated minors are not exempt from this requirement. For more information contact the Family Law Division of Superior Court.

Public License vs. Confidential License​​

  • Regular (Public) License - $70
    • This is a public record and anyone may obtain a copy
    • At least one witness is required for the ceremony and they must sign the license
  • Confidential License - $80
    • Parties must be living together as spouses
    • Both parties must be at least 18 years old
    • No witness is required for the wedding ceremony or to sign the license
    • Copies of the record are not available to the public, however, the Clerk-Recorder's Office may confirm the existence of a record
    • Certified copies may only be issued to one of the parties to the marriage or upon court order

Name Change Information

8 November 2022

Name Change Information

The Name Equality Act of 2007  allows you to change your middle and/or last names through the marriage license process. The law does not allow you to change your first name on the marriage license.

You may only change your name through this process at the time the license is issued.

Middle Names

The law does not allow you to completely drop your existing middle name. You must keep your middle name, replace it or add to it. You may adopt any of the following middle names:

  • The current last name of either spouse
  • The last name of either spouse given at birth
  • A combination of the current middle name and the current last name of either spouse (with or without a hyphen)
  • A combination of the current middle name and the birth last name of either spouse (with or without a hyphen)


Last Names

You may adopt any of the following last names:

  • The current last name of the other spouse.
  • The last name of either spouse given at birth.
  • A combination of current or birth last names (with or without a hyphen)
  • A new name combining segments from the current or birth last names of either spouse



If you have legal concerns or questions regarding your decision to include or not include a new name on the marriage license, please seek legal advice before purchasing the marriage license.

Local, state, federal, and private agencies each have different requirements regarding which documents are acceptable to change your name on their records following marriage. Please contact these agencies to verify their requirements prior to applying for a marriage license.